With the start of a new year, I bet that you have made your New Years resolutions. With weight-loss being one of the most common ones, I thought it appropriate to share with you eight supplements/ ingredients to help you with your weight-loss goal.
1. Chromium – naturally found in eggs, beef, and green peppers, chromium has been found to help weight-loss if consumed long term. The recent study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine showed that weight gain over a 10 year period for obese men who didn’t take chromium was 11.7 pounds, whereas the men who took chromium daily achieved a weight-loss average of 3.1 pounds. Depending on how much meat, eggs and green peppers you eat, you may want to supplement?
2. Vitamin D – whether from sunlight or supplementation, Vitamin D has profound influence over mood and weight. It is typical for carbohydrate cravings and depression to be more prevalent during winter months when Vitamin D levels are lower. As body mass increases, Vitamin D levels are found to be lower. As Vitamin D levels decrease, waist size tends to increase. So watch out for this deficiency because it’s very common and so easy to fix.
3. Omega-3s – A low-fat and low-calorie diet with additional omega-3 oils have been shown to reduce the body mass index and waist circumference. Make sure that the omega-3 supplement you take is derived from small fish like anchovies and sardines. These small fish don’t accumulate large amounts of heavy metals like larger fish and are loaded with EPA/DHA.
4. Anthocyanidins – found in cinnamon, purple corn, grapeseeds, berries and cherries among other fruits and vegetables, anthocyanidins are molecules that inhibit fat formation within fat cells. You may want to look into grapeseed extract or adding cinnamon and berries to your diet. It’s quite delicious.
5. Cayenne pepper – Spice up your meal by adding cayenne pepper to your food. This burns more calories after a meal and increases a sense of fullness when eating. Thirty minutes after a meal that contains chili peppers, blood-sugar levels have been shown to be significantly lower.
6. Garlic – I love garlic and cook with it practically every day. Researchers in Israel found that allicin, the active ingredient in fresh-crushed garlic cloves, helps regulate blood-sugar levels and drop insulin and triglycerides. So if you’re concerned about high blood pressure, obesity, and/or diabetes, enjoy the yummy flavor of garlic.
7. Green tea – Epigallocatechin gallate, or EGCG, a component found in green tea has been shown to reduce fat mass, body weight, and fat absorption among other things. Green tea contains caffeine, with high levels being shown to reduce weight, fat mass and waist size. So, next time you are at Starbucks, shoot for the green tea. Your waist may eventually thank you for it and you should achieve your weight-loss goals with greater ease!
8.Resveratrol – Found in 70 different foods like peanuts and grapes, it is concentrated in only wine. MIT with Harvard Medical School found that resveratrol switches on the gene that inhibits fat production. This delights me because I love my glass of red wine with dinner. Here’s to healthy weight-loss in 2013!
Article derived in part from NewHope360.com article.