I can’t believe summer is almost over. It has gone by way too fast. While it’s still quite warm during the day, the nights are getting cold. It was 47 degrees this morning when I got up. Brrr.
So with colder weather in the not-too-distant future, what can we do to stay healthy? Here are 7 things you can do to stay healthy this fall.
1. Eating Fall Superfoods – It’s recommended that we eat seasonal fruits and veggies. They tend to be less expensive, more nutritious and taste better. So what’s in store for fall? Yumminess like pumpkins, apples, eggplant, and Brussels sprouts. Speaking of Brussels sprouts, I used to hate them! Growing up, I was not allowed to leave the dinner table until my plate was cleared. If only I knew the pinching-the-nose trick when I was a kid! Anyway. I love Brussels sprouts now and how I make this is super easy. I mix them with olive oil and bamboo jade sea salt. I bake them at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes in our convection oven turning them over half way. They are so good that way!
2. Boost Your Immune System – Back to school or back to work time can also mean getting sick time for many people. To help keep you and your family healthy, here are a few tips to follow: get enough sleep, manage your stress, consume less alcohol and sugar, eat more garlic, and use Colloidal Silver. I always have a spray on hand because you never know when you’re going to need it. It’s my go-to product the second I get a sore throat. Within minutes my throat feels better.
3. Stay Hydrated – While it’s easier to stay hydrated in the summer because we get more thirsty, it can be easy to forget to drink water when we aren’t thirsty. Regardless of the temperature outside, staying hydrated is crucial to keeping your body running at its best. As a smart doctor told me many years ago, if you wait until you’re thirsty to drink, you’re already dehydrated. So, don’t wait to be thirsty to drink. I like to drink my water out of a 1-liter bottle. That way I know how much I am drinking every day. You can also add electrolytes to your water. Along with the trace minerals and all that vitamin C in each convenient packet, they can help boost your energy and immune system.
4. Get energized – If you’ve had a very busy summer and need a energy boost to get back into the swing of things, the organic Royal Purple and the Red Perfumes de Soin from Altearah are great staples to have on hand. Royal Purple is grounding, energizing, and can help recharge our batteries. Red is more like a quick pick me up. It leads to action, better organization and time management with less stress.
5. Stay active – While it’s easy to stay active when the weather is nice, there are simple ways that you can keep moving when you’re at work. For example, you can take the stairs to your office instead of using the elevator (maybe it’s just a few stories if work in a high rise) or try sitting on a stability ball or working on a stand up desk. I like to set an alarm every hour so I remember to get up and move!
6. Set Goals and Limits – Setting clear goals is not only important at work but in life. Maybe you want to exercise more, eat more veggies, or cut down on dessert to only a few times a week. Whatever it is, be consistent. Consistency is the key to success in everything in life. One of my workouts goals right now is to climb 100 floors on the stair master. I’ve been building up to this goal and hit 95 floors last time so I’m not that far off. 🙂 Whatever your goals are, start small. Maybe add a 30-minute walk a week or drink one less soda a day.
7. Have a Daily Game Plan – Just like you schedule a lunch date or a doctor’s appointment, scheduling healthy activities and me time is always a great idea! By planning and having a routine, it’s much easier to be consistent and to take care of the most important person in your life, YOU!
While I’m going to hold on to summer as long as I can, I love fall and look forward to the leaves changing, getting to wear leggings again.. 🙂 You know, it’s the simple pleasures in life that keep us happy!